It’s easy to assume that car insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. People who shop around for cheaper price quotes are highly likely to buy a different policy because there is a good probability of finding good coverage at a lower price. A study showed that people who regularly shopped around saved an average of $865 annually compared to policyholders who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the lowest rates on insurance is your intention, understanding how to quote and compare insurance can help make the process easier and more efficient.
If you want to save money, the best way to get low-cost Chevy SS insurance in Irvine is to start doing an annual price comparison from different companies who provide car insurance in California.
- Try to learn a little about the different coverages in a policy and the modifications you can make to drop your rates. Many factors that drive up the price such as speeding tickets, accidents and an imperfect credit history can be improved by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Later in this article we will cover additional tips to help keep prices low and find overlooked discounts.
- Get rate quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices for a wide range of companies. View insurance agents
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find better rates, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide notification to your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your current coverage and submit a signed application and payment to your new carrier. Don’t forget to keep your new certificate of insurance somewhere easily accessible.
One piece of advice is to compare the same amount of coverage on each quote request and and to get prices from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and many rates to choose from.
Cheapest companies for Chevy SS insurance
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Irvine, CA. If your goal is to find the best cheap car insurance in CA, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Cheaper rates with these five discounts
Some providers don’t necessarily list every policy discount very clearly, so we took the time to find both the well known and the harder-to-find credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Irvine auto insurance online. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Government Employee Discount – Active or former government employment could provide a small rate reduction depending on your auto insurance provider.
- Defensive Driver – Participating in a defensive driving class is a good idea and can lower rates and also improve your driving technique.
- Multi-line Discount – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a break if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Resident Student – Children who live away from home to go to college and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Insuring more than one vehicle with one company can get a discount for every vehicle.
One last thing about discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So when it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Insurance companies that may include many of the previously listed discounts include:
Before purchasing a policy, check with each company or agent what discounts are available to you. Savings might not apply in Irvine. If you would like to see a list of companies with significant discounts in Irvine, click here.
Your car insurance coverage should be tailored to you
Always keep in mind that when comparing insurance from an agent or online, there really isn’t a “perfect” insurance plan. Your financial needs are unique so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if your insurance needs would benefit from professional advice.
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- What is GAP insurance?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- Can good grades get a discount?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Buying from insurance agencies
Some people prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is OK! Good agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help in the event of a claim. A nice benefit of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find better rates and still buy from a local agent. Buying from local agencies is important especially in Irvine.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to agents in your area who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. There is no need to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent to your email. If you wish to quote rates from a specific insurance company, just find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
If you need to find a good insurance agency, you need to know there are two different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Agencies in Irvine are categorized either exclusive agents or independent agents. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth learning why they differ because it may have an impact on the kind of agent you use.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type do not write with just one company so they can write business with a variety of different insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If they find a lower price, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent. When comparing rates, you will definitely want to compare prices from at least one independent agent to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Listed below are Irvine independent agencies that can give you rate quotes.
First American Property and Casualty Insurance Agency, Inc.
24 Executive Park Suite 250 – Irvine, CA 92614 – (888) 546-5118 – View Map
Willis Insurance Services of CA Inc
18101 Von Karman Ave # 600 – Irvine, CA 92612 – (949) 885-1200 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates such as American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below are Irvine exclusive insurance agents who can help you get comparison quotes.
Selecting an insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the price. These questions are important to ask:
- Is the agency active in community causes in Irvine?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Irvine?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
After you get positive responses as well as low cost Chevrolet SS insurance quotes, you may have just found an insurance agent that is reputable and can properly service your auto insurance policy.
Car insurance policy coverages for a Chevy SS
Having a good grasp of your policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you’ll find typical coverage types found on most car insurance policies.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Chevy SS.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (California limits are 15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Usually these coverages are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for bills for things like prosthetic devices, nursing services, surgery and chiropractic care. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
This pays for damage to your SS from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things like driving through your garage door, colliding with another moving vehicle and colliding with a tree. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. Another option is to increase the deductible on your SS in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Liability auto insurance
Liability coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property that is your fault. It protects YOU from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 15/30/5 that means you have a $15,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage protects against things such as court costs, emergency aid, attorney fees, funeral expenses and medical services. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but consider buying higher limits if possible. California requires drivers to carry at least 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be enough.
Comprehensive auto coverage
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like damage from flooding, damage from a tornado or hurricane, hitting a bird and damage from getting keyed. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Smart consumers save more
When getting Irvine auto insurance quotes online, never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many cases where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Lower-priced Chevy SS insurance in Irvine can be purchased both online and also from your neighborhood Irvine agents, so you need to shop Irvine auto insurance with both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies may not offer online rate quotes and many times these small insurance companies only sell coverage through local independent agents.
For more information, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Irvine Car Insurance Rates for Police Officers? (FAQ)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)