It's a known fact that auto insurance companies don't want their customers to go rate shopping. Consumers who shop around for cheaper rates are inclined to buy a different policy because they stand a good chance of finding better rates. Remarkably, a study showed that consumers who made a habit of comparing rates saved on average $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who don't make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding budget-friendly rates on GMC Sierra insurance in Irvine is why you're reading this, learning how to find companies and compare insurance coverage can make it easier to find better rates.
The most effective way to get affordable GMC Sierra insurance is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in Irvine. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Learn about how car insurance works and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates like distracted driving and a less-than-favorable credit score can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely. This article provides more ideas to prevent expensive rate increases and find possible discounts that are available.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple sources.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a better price and switch companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
One tip to remember is that you'll want to compare the same level of coverage on each quote request and and to get prices from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This ensures a fair rate comparison and the best rate selection.
Why Your Insurance Rates might be higher
When buying car insurance it's important to understand some of the things that help determine the price you pay for car insurance. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that could help you find big savings.
Shown below are a few of the things used by your company to calculate rates.
Accidents hurt - Your driving citation history influences premium rates substantially. Drivers with clean records pay less for auto insurance as compared to those with violations. Having a single speeding ticket or other violation can boost insurance rates twenty percent or more. Drivers who have received multiple violations like reckless driving or DUI might be required by their state to submit a SR-22 form with their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
The illustration below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault accidents can influence GMC Sierra insurance premiums for different age groups of insureds. The price estimates are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Raise comp and collision deductibles and save - The deductibles you choose state the amount of money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, insures against damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are colliding with a stationary object, damage caused by hail, and damage caused by road hazards. The more damage repair cost you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
More performance means more cost - The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you own makes a huge difference in your rates. The lowest premiums will normally be found when insuring smaller low performance passenger cars, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
The chart below uses these variables: single male driver age 50, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The chart compares GMC Sierra rates compared to other makes and models that have a range of performance risks.
Car features that cut rates - Buying a car with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Anti-theft devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar help track and prevent auto theft.
Incidental coverages may be wasting money - There are quite a few additional extra coverages you can purchase if you aren't careful. Coverages like vanishing deductibles, high-cost glass coverage, and extra equipment coverage could be just wasting money. The coverages may be enticing when deciding what coverages you need, but if you don't need them get rid of them and save.
Teenagers vs. mature drivers - Older drivers have been proven to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and get fewer tickets. Youthful drivers have been known to be more careless behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates.
The chart below uses these variables: single driver, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
More stress means more cost - Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations like real estate brokers, architects, and financial analysts tend to have the highest average rates due to intense work situations and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, careers such as scientists, engineers and retirees pay lower than average rates.
Where you live - Choosing to live in smaller towns and rural areas of the country is a good thing when it comes to car insurance. Residents of big cities have to deal with much more traffic and longer commute times. Less people living in that area means fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
GMC Sierra historical loss data - Companies factor in historical loss data to help set a rate to offset losses. Vehicles that the statistics show to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have a higher cost to insure. The table below outlines the insurance loss data used by companies for GMC Sierra vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles compiled together is represented as 100. Percentages below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate more frequent losses or tendency to have larger claims.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|GMC Sierra 1500 2WD||89||122||106|
|GMC Sierra 1500 4WD||97||86||79|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 2WD||87||99||132||69||69||89|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4WD||89||102||114||52||51||73|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 2WD||98||109||96||70|
|GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4WD||78||85||89||65||56||94|
|GMC Sierra 2500 4WD||70||56|
|GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 2WD||63||101|
|GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab 4WD||91||118||105||43||50||90|
|GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 4WD||67||108||85||40|
|GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4WD||85||128||121||35|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
All the larger insurance companies give prices online. Getting quotes for GMC Sierra insurance in Irvine doesn't take a lot of time because it's just a matter of typing in your personal and coverage information into a form. Upon sending the form, the company's rating system collects your driving record and credit report and quotes a price.
The ability to get online price quotes for GMC Sierra insurance in Irvine makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it is imperative to get many rate quotes in order to find the most affordable possible premiums on insurance.
To save time and find out how much you're overpaying now, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you complete the form with the limits and deductibles just like they are on your policy. Doing this guarantees you will be getting comparison quotes for exact coverage.
The auto insurance companies shown below provide price comparisons in Irvine, CA. To locate cheap car insurance in Irvine, we recommend you click on several of them to get the cheapest price.
GMC Sierra insurance rate analysis
The premium table displayed next showcases different prices for GMC Sierra models. Having a better idea how insurance prices are figured can be valuable when making decisions on which coverage to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$164||$308||$424||$26||$126||$1,048||$87|
|Sierra SL Extended Cab 2WD||$164||$308||$424||$26||$126||$1,048||$87|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$164||$308||$424||$26||$126||$1,048||$87|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 2WD||$186||$362||$424||$26||$126||$1,124||$94|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$186||$362||$424||$26||$126||$1,124||$94|
|Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$186||$362||$424||$26||$126||$1,124||$94|
|Sierra SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$186||$362||$424||$26||$126||$1,124||$94|
|Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$186||$362||$424||$26||$126||$1,124||$94|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$186||$362||$424||$26||$126||$1,124||$94|
|Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$186||$362||$424||$26||$126||$1,124||$94|
|Sierra SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$186||$362||$424||$26||$126||$1,124||$94|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$186||$362||$424||$26||$126||$1,124||$94|
|Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$206||$418||$424||$26||$126||$1,200||$100|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 2WD||$206||$418||$424||$26||$126||$1,200||$100|
|Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4WD||$206||$418||$424||$26||$126||$1,200||$100|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and homeowner. Rates do not factor in garaging location in Irvine which can lower or raise coverage prices considerably.
The example below shows how different deductible levels and can increase or decrease GMC Sierra insurance costs for different age groups. The costs are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Age-based car insurance rates by gender
The diagram below illustrates the difference between GMC Sierra car insurance costs for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on no claims or violations, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, single status, and no other discounts are factored in.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The information below shows the comparison of GMC Sierra insurance costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The rates are based on no accidents or driving violations, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no clear-cut rule that is best for determining when to drop physical damage insurance, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of having full coverage is 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let's say your GMC Sierra claim settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $5,000 after paying your deductible. If premium cost is more than $500 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are a few cases where buying only liability insurance is not in your best interest. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to keep full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not buy liability only.
Car insurance is an important decision
Despite the high insurance cost for a GMC Sierra in Irvine, insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your GMC Sierra has a lienholder, most lenders will force you to have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your GMC for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Car insurance preserves not only your car but also your assets. It also can pay for all forms of medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having car insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially if you ever need it. An average driver in America overpays more than $800 each year so compare quotes from several companies at every policy renewal to save money.
Discounts for cheaper car insurance rates
Car insurance companies don't always publicize every discount available in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts that may be available.
- Student in College - Youth drivers who attend college more than 100 miles from Irvine without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Home Ownership Discount - Owning your own home or condo can save you money because of the fact that having a home shows financial diligence.
- No Accidents - Drivers who don't have accidents pay less in comparison with frequent claim filers.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Options like air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings of more than 20%.
- Military Deployment Discount - Being deployed with a military unit could be rewarded with lower car insurance rates.
- Safety Course Discount - Passing a driver safety course is a good idea and can lower rates and also improve your driving technique.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won't be that lucky.
The diagram below illustrates the difference between GMC Sierra insurance prices with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The data assumes a male driver, no accidents, no driving violations, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, marriage, multi-car, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Auto insurance companies that may offer some of the discounts shown above may include but are not limited to:
When quoting, ask each company or agent how many discounts you can get. Some credits might not apply in your area. For a list of insurers who offer discounts in Irvine, click here.
Are auto insurance agents obsolete?
Many drivers just want to sit down with an agent and that can be a great decision Good insurance agents can help you build your policy and help you file claims. One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheap car insurance rates and also buy local.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents who will give competitive quotes for your car insurance coverage. You won't need to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, you can always jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an insurer requires you to look at more than just the premium amount. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Irvine?
The following is a list of insurers in Irvine that are able to give price quotes for GMC Sierra insurance in Irvine.
- Willis Insurance Services of CA Inc
18101 Von Karman Ave # 600 - Irvine, CA 92612 - (949) 885-1200 - View Map
- AIS | Auto Insurance Specialists | Irvine
16969 Von Karman Ave #100 - Irvine, CA 92606 - (949) 660-7061 - View Map
- Blackwell Insurance
23002 Lake Center Dr - Lake Forest, CA 92630 - (949) 421-0222 - View Map
- First American Property and Casualty Insurance Agency, Inc.
24 Executive Park Suite 250 - Irvine, CA 92614 - (888) 546-5118 - View Map
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Consumers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as high rates after DUI convictions, denial of a claim, being labeled a high risk driver and lack of trust in their agent. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is easier than you think.
Discount GMC Sierra insurance in Irvine is definitely available online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies may not provide rate quotes online and these smaller providers work with independent insurance agencies.
As you quote Irvine car insurance, it's very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. Too many times, an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time they didn't have enough coverage. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
More detailed insurance information is available by following these links:
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes After a Speeding Ticket in Irvine? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit in Irvine? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for High School Students in Irvine? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda Pilot in Irvine? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Business Use in Irvine? (FAQ)
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)