A recent survey discovered that the vast majority of auto insurance customers kept buying from the same company for over three years, and nearly the majority have never compared rates to find affordable insurance. Many consumers in Irvine can cut their rates by almost $469 a year by just shopping around, but most undervalue how much they could save if they switched.
It takes a little time, but the best way to save on car insurance rates in Irvine is to compare quotes annually from different companies that sell auto insurance in California. Rates can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Step 1: Gain an understanding of what coverages are included in your policy and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that increase rates such as multiple speeding tickets and a low credit score can be amended by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your existing rates and see if you can save money. If you find a better price and switch companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Step 4: Notify your current company of your intent to cancel your current policy and submit payment and a signed application to the new company. As soon as you can, keep the new certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
The key aspect of shopping around is that you use identical coverage information on each quote request and and to compare as many companies as you can. This guarantees a fair price comparison and maximum price selection.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Irvine can be easy if you know a few tricks. If you have insurance now, you will definitely be able to find the best rates using the ideas covered in this article. But California car owners can benefit by having an understanding of how the larger insurance companies determine prices because it can help you find the best coverage.
Auto insurance providers offering affordable price quotes in California
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Irvine, CA. In order to find cheaper car insurance in Irvine, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Analysis of coverages
The rate information displayed next highlights detailed analysis of insurance premium costs for Chevy Silverado models. Learning as much as possible about how insurance quotes are formulated can be useful when making informed decisions when shopping around for a new policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$256||$464||$524||$32||$156||$1,432||$119|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$256||$464||$464||$28||$138||$1,350||$113|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$294||$564||$524||$32||$156||$1,570||$131|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$294||$564||$524||$32||$156||$1,570||$131|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$294||$564||$464||$28||$138||$1,488||$124|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$294||$564||$464||$28||$138||$1,488||$124|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$294||$564||$524||$32||$156||$1,570||$131|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$294||$564||$524||$32||$156||$1,570||$131|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$332||$664||$464||$28||$138||$1,626||$136|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$332||$664||$524||$32||$156||$1,708||$142|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$332||$664||$464||$28||$138||$1,626||$136|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$332||$664||$524||$32||$156||$1,708||$142|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$332||$664||$524||$32||$156||$1,708||$142|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$332||$664||$464||$28||$138||$1,626||$136|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$332||$664||$524||$32||$156||$1,708||$142|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$332||$664||$464||$28||$138||$1,626||$136|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$332||$764||$464||$28||$138||$1,726||$144|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$370||$764||$464||$28||$138||$1,764||$147|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Estimates do not factor in your specific Irvine location which can decrease or increase auto insurance rates considerably.
The chart below demonstrates how deductibles and can change Chevy Silverado insurance costs for different age categories. The rates are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only
The chart below compares Chevy Silverado auto insurance rates with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The information is based on no claims or driving violations, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There isn’t a written rule of when to phase out physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of coverage is 10% or more of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Chevy Silverado book value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $7,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying over $700 a year for physical damage coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some circumstances where only buying liability is not a good plan. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not drop full coverage.
Determine discounts on Irvine car insurance
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below details some of the best known as well as the least known discounts that may be available.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accidents.
- Accident Waiver – Not a discount per se, but certain companies will turn a blind eye to one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Cars and trucks equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen so companies will give you a small discount.
- Early Switch Discount – A few insurance companies allow discounts for switching companies before your current Silverado insurance policy expires. It could save around 10% when you buy Irvine car insurance online.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles could earn substantially lower premium rates.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories get the best car insurance rates when compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Discount for Good Grades – Maintaining excellent grades may save you up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
It’s important to note that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way.
The chart below shows the comparison of Chevy Silverado car insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the premium. The data is based on a female driver, no claims, a clean driving record, California state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, marriage, and multi-car discounts applied.
Large car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online signing, good student, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner.
- MetLife may include discounts for multi-policy, good driver, claim-free, defensive driver, good student, and accident-free.
- Mercury Insurance discounts include type of vehicle, good student, professional/association, ease of repair, age of vehicle, annual mileage, and accident-free.
- Nationwide offers discounts for defensive driving, family plan, easy pay, good student, and Farm Bureau membership.
- GEICO has savings for emergency military deployment, anti-lock brakes, good student, defensive driver, federal employee, and seat belt use.
- AAA may offer discounts for multi-policy, education and occupation, good student, multi-car, and anti-theft.
It’s a good idea to ask every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts might not be offered on policies in every state. To find car insurance companies that offer the discounts shown above in Irvine, click here to view.
Independent and exclusive insurance agencies
Many people just want to buy from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move A nice benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you can get the best rates but also keep your business local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Irvine who will give you bids and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to search for any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered to your email. Get lower rates AND a local agent. If you need to compare rates from a specific car insurance provider, feel free to visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right insurer requires you to look at more than just the price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- How long have they been in business?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
Irvine auto insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
If you want to buy car insurance from a reputable insurance agent or broker, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Agencies in Irvine are either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Agents of this type can only quote rates from one company and some examples include AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Irvine who can help you get comparison quotes.
Independent agents are normally appointed by many insurers and that gives them the ability to insure with many different companies and find you cheaper rates. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can just switch to a different company which requires no work on your part.
When comparison shopping, you will definitely want to include rate quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Listed below are Irvine independent insurance agencies that can give you comparison quotes.
Sentry Insurance – Irvine
16815 Von Karman Ave #200 – Irvine, CA 92606 – (949) 930-6100 – View Map
First American Property and Casualty Insurance Agency, Inc.
24 Executive Park Suite 250 – Irvine, CA 92614 – (888) 546-5118 – View Map
After you get acceptable answers to any questions you may have as well as an affordable premium quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that meets the requirements to properly service your car insurance policy.
Auto insurance specifics
Knowing the specifics of your policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. These are typical coverages available from auto insurance companies.
Coverage for liability – This can cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property by causing an accident. This coverage protects you from claims by other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see policy limits of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as funeral expenses, attorney fees, medical expenses, emergency aid and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but you should buy as much as you can afford. California state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why minimum state limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Collision coverage – Collision insurance covers damage to your Silverado from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against claims like hitting a parking meter, sustaining damage from a pot hole, colliding with another moving vehicle, sideswiping another vehicle and backing into a parked car. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Silverado to get cheaper collision coverage.
Medical expense insurance – Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for expenses like nursing services, rehabilitation expenses, surgery, funeral costs and pain medications. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers both the driver and occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as fire damage, a broken windshield and falling objects. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers – This coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Chevy Silverado.
Due to the fact that many California drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (15/30/5 in California), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Car insurance company ratings
Picking the top auto insurance provider is difficult considering how many companies sell insurance in Irvine. The ranking information shown next could help you select which companies you want to consider when comparing rates.
Top 10 Irvine Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- AAA of Southern California
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- Mercury Insurance
Affordable insurance is out there
In this article, we presented many ways to get a better price on Chevy Silverado insurance in Irvine. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the best premium rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Smaller companies may only write in your state and offer lower prices as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, an insured dropped full coverage only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage at the best price and still be able to protect your assets.
To learn more, take a look at the following helpful articles:
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- How Much are Irvine Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Corolla in Irvine? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Retired Military in Irvine? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Teenage Females in Irvine? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Cheap Car Insurance in Irvine, CA? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Lyft Drivers in Irvine? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)